Saturday, May 22, 2010

Zebra Jumping Spider (Salticus scenicus)

click for large

I find a bunch of these guys around, by far the most common jumpers I encounter. I can find two or three with just a two minute walk around my deck door. That being said, this is the first male I've found. You would think out of the dozens I've photographed before I'd find at least one, but no, this is my first.

I've been looking for a male for the longest time because just look at those fangs! The chelicerae are elongated, and jointed, and a nice pair of fangs comes out of them. They're so big that this guy actually looks a little clumsy when he moves.

Very personable little buggers too, they'll crawl all over you, and look up every few seconds. I'm certain they recognize my eyes.

The Zebra Jumping Spider is a common household jumping spider. Like other jumping spiders, it does not build a web. It uses its four pairs of large eyes to locate prey and its jumping ability to pounce and capture it. Zebra spiders are often noted for their 'curiosity' when observed by humans; many seem aware of their audience and seem to respond to observation by raising their heads and studying the observer.

Raynox DCR-150 and Raynox DCR-250, stacked, and mounted on my Panasonic Lumix FZ8

2 comments:

  1. Here I thought I was just imagining that they were looking at me too! I saw one on the outside of my window screen and when he crawled just about out of my sight, I would tap the window and he would come back and check us out, instead of running away in fear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this little guy! Your photographs are wonderful. Spiders scare me, but I find them interesting and beautiful anyway.

    ReplyDelete