Friday, July 31, 2009

Leaf Curling Sac Spider (Clubiona sp.)

click for large

Not much is known about these guys. Actually this is a female. I could only narrow it down to a genus level because my favorite identification site is woefully lacking in this family, and no other site on the intarwebs knows anything about them.

I found this spider in very long grass. It had curled one of the grass blades over and made a home for itself. Given that this genus is called the Leaf Curling Sac Spiders, I thought the name and behavior fit quite well. There are at least 3 species that look almost exactly like this one, so I guess it'd take an expert to identify it to species level. You can't see it from this angle, but it has a furry grey mottled abdomen.

Even without much information I was impressed by the very large black chelicerae and extra large fangs. Really a great spider to shoot in my little studio. As always it was released unharmed.

Raynox DCR-150 and Raynox DCR-250 stacked and mounted on my Panasonic Lumix FZ8.

1 comment:

  1. Did you ever find out what species this is? I found one like this in my home in South Africa, Cape Town? Quite noticable is its long black fangs which differentiates from the normal sac spider

    ReplyDelete